If you want to learn how to master music, and you don’t have much time, then this is the video for you. I’m going to be mastering a song in just 5 minutes and I’ll be explaining how to get a loud, punchy master along the way.
This video is a bit of a challenge. I’m going to master this metal song that I recently mixed for a mixing series. Before starting, it’s important to know what you’re aiming for. In mastering a song you’ll be aiming to –
- Make it competitively loud across all platforms without sounding over-compressed
- Make some tweaks to the EQ, possibly add some saturation and whatever else you feel it needs
- You might be referencing the track against an existing mastered song as something to aim for
- Get the spacing right at the beginning and end of the track and adding fades if needed
- Exporting the track to the correct formats
So without further ado, let’s master this song…